Borough Declares State of Emergency
PROCLAMATION OF LOCAL DISASTER EMERGENCY AND REGULATIONS INSTITUTED WITHIN THE BOROUGH OF METUCHEN
TO ALL DEPARTMENTS, DIVISIONS AND OFFICES OF THE BOROUGH OF METUCHEN, NEW JERSEY AND TO ALL CITIZENS OF THE BOROUGH AND PERSONS WITHIN ITS BOUNDARIES
WHEREAS, on March 9, 2020, Governor Murphy declared the concurrent invocation of both a State of Emergency pursuant to N.J.S.A. App.A.:9-33 et seq. and a Public Health Emergency as contemplated by N.J.S.A. 26:13-1 et seq., which action invoked the authority and powers contemplated by N.J.S.A. 26:13-3, the Emergency Health Powers Act; and
WHEREAS, pursuant to the powers designated in Chapter 251 of the Laws of 1942, as amended and supplemented, N.J.S.A. App A:9-30, et seq; N.J.S.A. 40:48-1(6) and Ordinances pursuant thereto; N.J.S.A. 40:87-31, et seq, N.J.S.A. 2C33-1 et seq; and all sections and subsections, on March 15, 2020, Lt. Arthur Flaherty, the Emergency Management Coordinator of the Borough of Metuchen declared a local State of Emergency; and
WHEREAS, the aforesaid laws authorize the promulgation of such orders, rules and regulations as are necessary to meet the various problems which have or may be presented by such emergency; and
WHEREAS, by reason of the serious conditions which presently exists or will exist in the Borough of Metuchen due to the global outbreak of COVID-19 which may affect the health, safety and/or welfare of the people; and
WHEREAS, it has been determined that the Borough of Metuchen must enact certain measures in order to ensure that the authorities will be unhampered in their efforts to maintain law and order as well as an orderly flow of traffic, and further in order to protect the persons and property affected by said conditions.
NOW THEREFORE, in accordance with the aforesaid laws, we do hereby promulgate and declare the following regulations, which shall be, in addition to all other laws and regulations of the State of New Jersey and of the County of Middlesex, effective at 11:59 p.m. on March 16, 2020 and up until such time as the conditions improve and this proclamation is rescinded:
- All non-essential places of business with occupancy greater than 25 persons, and all restaurants, bars, private gyms, workout facilities, athletic facilities, fitness studios, daycare facilities, private schools, hair salons, nail salons, and barbershops shall be closed to the public until further notice, effective Monday, March 16, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.;
- All bars and restaurant establishments are no longer permitted to serve patrons within the establishment effective March 16, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. On and after March 17, 2020 until further notice, any bar or restaurant establishment which currently offers food service shall be permitted to conduct food takeout and food delivery service only;
- All residential real estate "open houses" shall be suspended effective March 16, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Real estate agents may promote real estate listings using "virtual technology;"
- Grocery stores, convenience stores, liquer stores, and pharmacies are permitted to continue operations. However, each establishment shall ensure that it reduce its fire code capacity by seventy-five (75%) percent; and
- All playground equipment and sports fixtures located in municipal parks will be closed for public use. Parks will remain open for passive recreation; and
|Latest Coronavirus Information|